Scott Metzger is a senior member of the firm’s litigation department. As one of the region’s preeminent trial lawyers, Scott’s practice includes special expertise in complex securities law, ranging from litigation to arbitration. He has defended an extensive number of broker-dealers, registered investment advisors, investment advisor representatives, financial institutions, and others in such matters as:
- Suitability issues
- Investment fraud
- Breach of fiduciary duty
- Customer privacy
- Raiding claims
- Failure to disclose material information
- Noncompliance with securities laws and regulations
- Internal investigations
- Churning and overcharges
- Contractual disputes with former registered representatives
- S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) charges
Scott is a frequent presenter and spokesperson on compliance matters, investment fraud, FINRA, and other securities topics on both the local and national level. In addition, he is an Adjunct Professor at University of San Diego School of Law, where he teaches Complex Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Scott’s business litigation practice also spans banking, automotive regulation, consumer products, real estate, and more.
He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, a former director of the San Diego Chapter of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, and was named one of San Diego’s Top 10 Lawyers by the San Diego Daily Journal in 2005.
Scott has also been recognized as a San Diego Super Lawyer in 2007-2018 for his business litigation practice as well as his securities and corporate finance practice.
Honors & Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated®
- Super Lawyers, 2007-2019
- San Diego Top Attorney, 2017-2019
- Avvo Rating 10 of 10
Memberships & Community Involvement
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Adjunct Professor at University of San Diego School of Law
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- San Diego County Bar Association